Reaction Engines is looking for an experienced Mechanical Design/Value Engineer to lead the implementation of value engineering methodologies to develop cost-effective ways of producing products. If you thrive in a fast-paced and creative environment, then this could be the role for you.
You will be part of the Design to Manufacture function, which integrates mechanical design, structural and materials engineers/scientists.
The work the Mechanical Design team carries out is dynamic and fast paced, providing each team member with the opportunity to contribute across a range of projects. As a design engineer you are responsible for delivering integrated solutions to multi-disciplinary challenges, working with internal and external specialists and manufacturers/suppliers, so good communication skills are vital. In your role you will also be the focal in design for cost techniques, making sure designs are produced in the most cost-effective way.
Accountabilities and Responsibilities
- Support design activities, assess solutions, and generate independent designs for applied technologies projects & our innovative propulsion system
- Deliver design solutions of RE products to schedule & budget
- Apply value engineering methodologies to new and existing products to develop the most cost-effective way of producing it while retaining quality, reliability, and safety.
- Carry out cost estimates to analyse how much a component should cost to manufacture, and develop component cost database
- Assess design and manufacturing processes to identify ways to drive product development and production costs down.
- Support the procurement team with supplier visits and reviews to identify ways to improve processes and drive down costs
- Generate design specifications in the form of 3D models and 2D engineering drawings for manufacture, assembly, and verification activities
- Lead activities with suppliers, manufacturing & assembly teams to ensure all aspects of Design for Manufacture, Assembly & Service are considered
- Further expand value engineering knowledge & expertise through development of junior engineers & methodologies
- Prepare, present, and report technical work to peers, seniors & partners
- Proficient with CAD and PDM/PLM packages
- Competent at producing and checking engineering drawings (working to BS8888, using GD&T)
- Proficient in design for cost methodologies
- Proficient in delivering presentations to key stakeholders
- Experience of industry standards, specifications & practices
- SolidWorks CAD preferable
- Practical engineering and/or manufacturing experience
- Experience in the design and development of heat exchangers, pressurised equipment or similar products
- Qualified to degree level (in a STEM subject) or equivalent engineering experience (experience from different industries will be considered)
- Chartered engineer or interested in pursuing chartered status
- Evidence of Continuous Professional Development
Skills and Behaviours
- Able to work in a quick paced, creative environment
- Positive and flexible attitude to get the job done
- Be capable of contributing to the development of our in-house design and analysis toolboxes
- Strong organisational and planning skills including task management and prioritisation
- Ability to communicate effectively at all levels and with external suppliers and customers
- Advanced manufacturing methods including additive manufacturing
- New Product Introduction Experience
- LEAN, Continuous improvement, multi-disciplinary design optimisation methods
The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate behaviours consistent with Reaction Engines’ core values:
This role attracts a competitive salary and excellent company benefits including 28 days annual leave (increasing to 30 days after 2 years’ service) plus public holidays, employee share scheme, employer matching company pension scheme, life assurance and a contribution towards onsite nursery childcare for children under 3 years of age. We also offer dynamic working where employees split their time working from home and from our office in Culham.
Salary: £40,000 to £52,000, negotiable and depending on experience and the level of role
Working Hours: Full time, Monday to Friday
Reaction Engines Ltd. operates a dynamic working policy and part-time hours may also be negotiable. Some travel to customers, suppliers, and build & test sites may be required.
Please send your Curriculum Vitae and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org quoting reference 2022-008 – Mechanical Design/Value Engineer
Closing date: 28 January 2022