Reaction Engines is looking for high calibre Materials Scientists/Engineers with various levels of experience to support/lead technology development programmes and to help the design and manufacture of novel technology systems & products.
The work that the Materials and Manufacturing team carries out is dynamic and fast paced, providing each team member with the opportunity to contribute across a range of projects and materials challenges.
The team are responsible for developing new materials and manufacturing technology and supporting product development. The team works with internal and external specialists and manufacturers/suppliers, so good communication skills are vital. This opportunity would suit an engineer or scientist with proven industry experience wanting to further develop their knowledge whilst working on innovative technology projects.
Accountabilities and Responsibilities
Reaction Engines is looking for Materials Scientist/Engineers with various levels of experience to:
- Provide materials and manufacturing expertise to support Reaction Engines programmes and technologies
- Responsible for supporting/delivering Materials and Manufacturing related technology development milestones to schedule and budget
- Responsible for supporting/delivering Materials and Manufacturing related work packages for larger research and development projects to schedule and budget
- Tasks include, but not limited to, materials selection, materials characterisation and testing, manufacturing trials, property database development and root cause analysis
- Create technical documentation, prepare, present and report technical work to peers, seniors and partners
- Help to develop the materials and manufacturing capability in line with the company requirements
- Interface with suppliers, manufacturing & assembly teams, other engineering functions
- Good foundation of knowledge of general materials science/engineering.
- Experience using microscopy and other analytical techniques.
- Proficient in delivering presentations to key stakeholders
- Some practical engineering and/or manufacturing experience
- At least 4 years of experience in metallurgy and manufacturing
- Knowledge of manufacturing and surface finishing techniques
- Experience in materials used in the aerospace industry
- Experience of industry standards, specifications & practices
- Qualified to degree level in a Materials Science/Engineering related subject
- Further experience either in industry or academia.
- Chartered engineer/scientist or interested in pursuing chartered status
- Evidence of Continuous Professional Development
Skills and Behaviours
- Able to work equally well unsupervised or as part of a team
- Must be adaptable to new projects and design directions
- Positive and flexible attitude to get the job done
- Able to work in a quick paced, creative environment
- Strong organisational and planning skills including task management and prioritisation
- Ability to communicate effectively at all levels and with external suppliers and customers
- Proficient at applying material science and engineering theory to real world challenges
- Adept at working to QA standards
- Adept at working to materials and manufacturing standards and specifications
The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate behaviours consistent with Reaction Engines’ core values:
This role attracts a competitive salary and excellent company benefits including 28 days annual leave (increasing to 30 days after 2 years’ service) plus public holidays, employee share scheme, employer matching company pension scheme, life assurance and a contribution towards onsite nursery childcare for children under 3 years of age. We also offer dynamic working where employees split their time working from home and from our office in Culham.
Salary: £27,000 to £52,000, negotiable and depending on experience and the level of role
Working Hours: Full time, Monday to Friday
Reaction Engines Ltd. operates a dynamic working policy and part-time hours may also be negotiable. Some travel to customers, suppliers, and build & test sites may be required.
Please send your Curriculum Vitae and covering letter to email@example.com quoting reference 2022-010 – Material Scientists/Engineers
Closing date: 28 January 2022