This role involves design and analysis of thermo-fluid systems and subsystems, building up aerothermal simulations using a blend of commercial and in-house modelling tools and supporting experimental validation tests. The successful applicant will be working in a fast-paced environment, positioned on the cutting edge of technology development for the aerospace industry and beyond.
Accountabilities and Responsibilities
- Support the sizing and bids teams, optimizing the heat exchanger aerothermal design to meet customer requirements and constraints, interfacing with the design, manufacturing and materials teams to ensure the design remains feasible.
- Building up aerothermal system designs based on real and potential customer requirements
- Pre-processing, running, and post-processing CFD solutions of system flows to explain system behaviour and provide performance estimates
- Supporting verification and validation activities, particularly of experimental campaigns
- Analysis of aerothermal test data, and running CFD solutions to aid in understanding behaviour
- Support the development of aerothermal tools and models within the company
- Establish develop and maintain effective working relationships with all work colleagues, contractors and partnering agencies to ensure an integrated contribution to Reaction Engines’ corporate objectives
- Observe and comply with policies and procedures for Health and Safety at Work and observe and continually promote equal opportunities and customer care in compliance with organisational aims and objectives.
- Participate in learning and development activities that develop personal effectiveness and assist in improving performance in the role.
- Undertake any other duties as may reasonably be required in line with the level of responsibility of the post and in order to meet the changing needs of the organisation
- In depth knowledge of fluid dynamics, thermodynamics and heat transfer
- Experience in the simulation of thermo-fluid systems and using a variety of 0D-3D modelling tools (heat exchangers, aerodynamics)
- Experience in the use of CFD pre-processing, solver, and post-processing tools
- Experience in two-phase flow modelling and heat transfer
- Experience in developing custom aerothermal models and tools and/or CFD user-defined functions
- Experience in running simulations on a High Performance Computing cluster, or cloud computing
- Experience of experimental programmes including the acquisition, analysis and reduction of experimental data
- Exposure to a manufacturing, prototyping or development environment
- Experience with using CAD software systems (e.g. Solidworks)
- Experience working in a business development/conceptual design environment is also desirable
- Familiarity with commercial and/or open-source meshing tools, CFD solvers and post-processing
- Qualified to degree level in a STEM subject
Skills and Behaviours
- A passion for new technologies, aerodynamics, thermodynamics and heat transfer
- A passion to learn and grow as an engineer in a dynamic work environment
- Possesses a strong, independent analysis and problem-solving capability
- Strong can-do approach to work
- Experience with programming or scripting languages
- Strong programming skills
- Able to interact with external partners and customers where necessary
- MS Office and technical report writing
- Ability to communicate at all levels of the business and with suppliers and customers
- Experience working with sub-contractors, partners and customers
The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate behaviours consistent with Reaction Engines’ core values:
This role attracts a competitive salary and excellent company benefits including 28 days annual leave (increasing to 30 days after 2 years’ service) plus public holidays, employee share scheme, employer matching company pension scheme, life assurance and a contribution towards onsite nursery childcare for children under 3 years of age. We also offer dynamic working where employees split their time working from home and from our office in Culham.
Salary: £29,000 to £50,000, depending on experience and the level of role
Working Hours: Full time, Monday to Friday. Flexible working arrangements may also be considered.
Please send your Curriculum Vitae and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org quoting reference 2022-004 – Aerothermal Engineer